60 mins preparation
30 mins frying
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1.5 Tsb shortening at room temperature
2 cups of sifted flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
oil ( for frying)
1/4 cup boiling water or 1/4 cup hot coffee
pinch of salt
1 cup icing sugar
1. In a medium bowl, slightly beat 1 egg.
2. add sugar to egg and beat until incorporated
3. Add butter and beat until smooth
4. Add milk and mix well.
5. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mixed well.
6. Cover and chill dough until stiff enough to roll out with rolling pin.
7. Roll out dough on a floured surface with rolling pin to 1/3" thick. Let rise for 5-10min.
8. Cut out donuts with a donut cutter.
9. Combine the ingredients for glaze and set aside.
10. Fry donuts until golden brown.
11. Glaze the fried donut with the sugar mixture and cool on a wire racks.
Add more flour, If your dough is not stiff enough to roll out with a rolling pin.
You can use a clean smooth bottle ( or others) instead, if you don't have a rolling pin.
If you don't have a donut cutter, you can just make a ball of dough, flatten it a bit and make a hole in the middle it or you can also use rims of drinking glasses or bottle covers ( different sizes of course, big one to cut the shape and small one to make a hole in the middle).